This week we would have been exploring subtraction in our Maths lessons.
In Year 2 we learn to:
- Solve problems with subtraction (using concrete objects, pictorial representations, mental and written methods).
- Recall and use subtraction facts to 20 fluently, and derive and use related facts up to 100.
- Show that subtraction of two numbers cannot be done in any order.
- Recognise and use the inverse relationship between addition and subtraction and use this to check calculations and solve missing number problems.
Today can you explore subtraction?
We know that when we subtract our amount gets smaller.
- Have a think about all the vocabulary that is linked to subtraction.
- Think about when we use subtraction in school and out of school.
- What jobs need subtraction skills?
- Count all of the chairs in your house and all of the pillows. Can you subtract the smaller amount from the larger amount?
Challenge: What other things could you count and subtract at home?
SATS Targeted Practise Workbook:
Have a go at the first page of ‘ProgressTest 1’ section of your workbook (page 34).