This week we would have been exploring shape in our Maths lessons.
In Year 2 we learn to:
- identify and describe the properties of 2-D shapes, including the number of sides and line symmetry in a vertical line
- identify and describe the properties of 3-D shapes, including the number of edges, vertices and faces
- identify 2-D shapes on the surface of 3-D shapes
- compare and sort common 2-D and 3-D shapes and everyday objects
Today can you explore and sort shapes?
What shapes can you remember? Name as many as you can and have a go at drawing them!
Teach your grown ups our favourite shape songs:
- Go on a shape hunt around the house/classroom! Can you name the shapes you find? I’ve found a circle on the face of the clock. My bed is a cuboid. I’ve also found a rectangle on the face of my TV.
- Can you sort the shape names into 2D and 3D? What is similar? What is different?
Challenge: Can you create a repeated pattern using 2D shapes? E.g. □□○□□○
SATS Targeted Practise Workbook:
Have a go at the ‘Different Shapes’ section of your workbook (pages 84-85).